This is a call to youth aged 18-25 from West Africa wanting to build inclusive societies through understanding and respect among cultural and religious communities
- Are you between 18 and 25 years old? *
- Are you a citizen of a West African country and do you currently live in this region? **
- Are you interested in taking part in an intercultural learning experience with other young people from West Africa and develop joint actions to promote peace?
- Are you part of a youth-led organization, network or initiative?
- Do you want to increase your ability to contribute to peace and social inclusion in your community, country and region?
- Are you in the beginning stages of your involvement in this type of work and want to learn more?
If yes, apply now for a chance to be selected for a fully funded participation to the UNAOC Young Peacebuilders in West Africa programme.
Deadline to apply: 6 September 2016
* Applicants selected for this programme must be aged 18-25 at the time of applying and for its total duration (October-December 2016). To be considered eligible, applicants must be born on or between January 1, 1991 and August 15, 1998.
** Benin, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Togo
1. The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC)
UNAOC was established in 2005, at the political initiative of Mr. Kofi Annan and co-sponsored by the Governments of Spain and Turkey. UNAOC works towards a more socially inclusive world, by building mutual respect among peoples of different cultural and religious identities, and highlighting the will of the world’s majority to reject extremism and embrace diversity. UNAOC project activities are fashioned around Youth, Education, Media and Migration. UNAOC recognizes the critical role that programming and policy-making in these areas can play in reducing polarization and identity-based tensions and in helping to build bridges between communities. The Alliance benefits from the political support of the Group of Friends, a community of 144 countries, international and regional organizations, which actively promotes the Alliance’s objectives.
Learn more about UNAOC and our programming for young people here.
2. Young Peacebuilders in West Africa: Programme overview
Guided by the principle that youth are key actors to achieve peace, UNAOC develops educational programming to enhance the ability of young people and their organizations to foster mutual respect, understanding and long-term positive relationships between peoples of different cultures and religions.
The Young Peacebuilders programme will engage young women and young men from West Africa in an intercultural dialogue and peacebuilding experience.